Data center infrastructure management (DCIM) is a kind of solution to extend conventional data center management operations to incorporate physical resources and assets used in the Information Technology (IT) as well as Facilities domains. DCIM involves integrated monitoring, administration and brilliant capacity planning of critical systems of the data center.
Besides managing data center utilization, DCIM also caters to monitoring and managing of energy consumption of all equipments used in IT infrastructure building (for instance, storage, servers and network switches) along with facility infrastructure equipments (for instance, computer room ACs and power distribution units or PDUs).
The other major responsibility of DCIM is to help data centers by offering real-time alerts during downtime thereby minimizing the risk involved.
Why is DCIM spreading so fast in the market?
Well, a simple to understand answer to this question would be to assemble, cable, label and supervise tens of thousands of Facility assets as well as IT-related assets efficiently and cost effectively at all levels.
As a web hosting service provider you need information, deep insight, command and control over your IT infrastructure that only a modernized, efficient and scalable Data Center Infrastructure Management (DCIM) service can offer. The web hosting service providers need to visualize, comprehend, monitor, manage and thereby optimize huge amounts of compound interrelationships that take place in every present day data centers. Their requirement is to be able to collect holistic information that is not only meaningful but also actionable on the go. They look out for such DCIM service which can aid them to view into the complete IT infrastructure in a single picture. Device level fragmented data or information is not of much utility to them any longer.
Gartner defines Data Center Infrastructure Management as a service which integrates various aspects of system management with energy management as well as building management, with concentration on IT assets and hardware required to support them.
Iron Networks is a well established, top Data Center Infrastructure Management service provider globally. It exists as a one-stop solution provider when it comes to data center infrastructure management to all its web hosting service providing clients. Iron Networks offers world-class tailor-made DCIM solutions to meet specific requirements and specific magnitude of IT infrastructure management needs.
DCIM for Web Hosting Service Providers
A dependable and well organized Data Center Infrastructure Management can optimally enhance the efficiency, performance as well as business value of any IT infrastructure or physical IT assets. Besides, keep them seamlessly streamlines with business needs.
Iron Networks rendered DCIM comes handy in many ways to any web hosting service provider:
- To identify and visualize along with manage the entire physical IT assets and Facilities infrastructure within a single view
- To make commissioning of the latest or new equipments automatic
- To reduce the requirement for time consuming and error prone manual tasks including manually confirming what goes where
- To automate capacity planning activities with state-of-the-art forecasting capabilities with the use if ‘what if’ instances
- To reduce the running cost, energy cost, energy consumption, as well as carbon footprint because we all equally share the responsibility to save our planet-Earth
- To match IT to the growing needs of the business, not just that, but also maintain that frequency with the business value, irrespective of the gigantic growth in the business requirements
Thus, as a web hosting service provider you need to be very careful while making a choice of the best DCIM vendor who can provide you with the flawless data center infrastructure management service in the most cost-effective manner.
Myths about DCIM
Here are some of the myths associated with DCIM. Let’s have a look at one by one and break them head-on.
- It is generally believed that DCIM is only about data center.
However, this is not true. A well organized and well managed Data Centre infrastructure Management solution can manage tens of thousands of IT assets housing in the largest global IT infrastructure of the world. DCIM comprises of power distributors, Network switches, servers, blades, etc, along with vast facilities and physical infrastructure like building systems. An experienced DCIM vendor can blur the walls of distinction between IT and Facilities infrastructure. Iron Networks can scale to successfully meet the demand of integrity at the enterprise level.
- It is also commonly believed that DCIM is merely about monitoring.
The truth is that monitoring is just one aspect of managing infrastructure. For example, monitoring usage of energy at the device level provides you with data only at a specific time with no context of relation. However, the data should be integrated from all the related devices and deciphered to draw out useful information from it.
The energy usage management across the entire power chain requires meaningful information on interrelationships that dwells among all assets used in the infrastructure. DCIM lets you monitor, manage, control and optimize power distribution right from the transformers to every single device placed on every rack.
Having a holistic view of the infrastructure environment in a single window leads to highly insightful as well as quick decision making. Responsive 3-D visualization of the data center infrastructure is core to DCIM solution, which a 2-D spreadsheets or 3D static images fail to offer. DCIM services exist as boon for any web hosting service provider where tracking the web of power chain information used to be a nightmare.
- The third myth that exists about DCIM is that DCIM is just about power.
Well, that is again not true. Although, invention of DCIM stemmed from the need to know and reduce power consumption, however, DCIM did not restrict itself to just this utility. DCIM is a derivative of the famous green IT revolution. It was created to carry out basic energy tracking, reporting as well management at the level of data center. However, DCIM has evolved itself into a much sophisticated interactive 3D visualization tool which is far beyond energy consumption monitoring.
A well-designed Data Center Infrastructure Management solution is a total game-changer when it comes to IT infrastructure management, facilities management, along with systems management. DCIM has changed the way IT ecosystem is viewed, perceived, and managed.
- DCIM caters into energy consumption reduction thereby bringing down the infrastructure cost which is the top priority in all data centers across the world.
- DCIM is also responsible for optimal utilization of IT physical assets as well as building systems throughout its lifecycle, i.e. from acquisition stage till decommissioning stage.
- It ought to be proactive in identifying the effect of any break-down and maintenance shortcomings on data center operation levels. Therefore, DCIM service is required to be available 24×7.
- DCIM is also vigilant in records keeping as well as controls establishing in order to adhere to the regulatory requirements such as HIPAA and Sarbanes-Oxley. Thus, it won’t be wrong to say that DCIM encompasses ‘risk management’ also.
- DCIM helps in expediting planning, executing and maintaining of infrastructure service needs as per the customers’ demand. It helps eliminate manual processing time thereby speeding up the service delivery through IT automation.
- A task is unaccomplished without thorough satisfaction of the clients. But DCIM system is proficient enough in monitoring the satisfaction level of service requests, and consequently identifying gaps. It is able in implementing corrective measures wherever required.
- DCIM system aids supply-chain management very well. It helps improve coordination of components delivery as well as their disposal. It can effectively reduce the operating costs.